Store bought personal deodorants have been found to contribute to many health problems in recent decades. Anti-antiperspirant qualities inhibit the body’s natural detoxification process of sweating. Our Skin is our largest organ and it is important to keep these channels for detoxification open. On top of a host of synthetic fragrances and other chemicals, even one of the natural brands I used to buy now adds the heavy metal aluminum. My guideline for healthy detoxifying skin and personal care is this: If you can’t put it IN your MOUTH, you wouldn’t want to put it ON your SKIN.
After many experiments I have found I like to use a combination of two natural alternatives: I have developed a wonderful spray-on deodorant and all-purpose refresher recipe:
Robyn’s All Natural Facial Refresher, Deodorizing Body & Clothing Spray
You will Need:
- 8oz spray bottle (glass or tough plastic)
- 1/2 tea spoon Himalayan pink salt
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil (Tea Tree)
- 5 drops Frankinscense
- 2 oz Aloe Vera Juice
- 2 oz Rose Witchhazel (without alcohol)
- 4 oz filtered water
- a funnel for adding liquids
Put the salt at the bottom of your spray bottle and add essential oils to the salt. Then funnel the rest of the ingredients into the spray bottle. Shake before using.
I use this spray for a facial toner and underarm deodorant. Spray it on stinky feet, spray it on itchy skin, freshen up your clothes with it, use it as a hand sanitizer. Everyone always tells me I smell amazing ever since I started taking a natural approach to my personal scent.
My mentor, Carrie at PurePlantMedicine turned me on to making this excellent stick deodorant recipe that can refill your old deodorant sticks from the store:
Solid All Natural Deodorant:
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1&1/2 TBS beeswax pellets
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Organic Arrow Root Starch
- 25 drops of your favorite essential oil or blend. I like to use the Balance or Elevation blend as those are my favorite AM blends. (Follow the link to shop my selection of organic, non-GMO, Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils)
Add the coconut oil, and beeswax pellets to a small saucepan. Slowly melt over VERY low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and add baking soda, and corn starch. Mix with a spoon until smooth and creamy in consistency, then add the essential oils and pour into your containers. Let stand to cool and solidify.
I hope you enjoy my favorite recipes for personal deodorants. Not only can these inexpensive alternatives save you money, replacing your store bought deodorants can remove daily toxins that contribute to breast and other cancers – healthier for the environment and your family! Please contact or comment with any questions!